Black Genius, Jazz History, and the Challenge of Bebop
By Guthrie P. Ramsey Jr.
University of California Press
The life of Bud Powell put into a historical context.
* What was is like being a Bebop musician in the 1940s?
* What was it like being a true musical genius such as Bud Powell was?
* The friendship between Monk and Powell and the influence Monk had a Powell
* Powell's training and aspirations as a classical musician
* How the European audiences responded to Powell and his music
Includes remarkable home movies from Powell's life.
Please share your favorite JazzontheTube.com videos with your friends and colleagues